Monday, June 3, 2013

Week 5: The Scaffold


The videos on sheltering instruction were really interesting. I have to say that we tell students the objective every day, so that they know what to expect in their learning. This is the first time I have heard of stating the objectives to reduce anxiety. I love that reasoning. It makes so much sense to me. I think that the reading lesson was set up throughout the pre, during, and post reading pieces to really promote higher level thinking.

               During the pre-reading, the students had a chance to make connections and predictions which gives them purpose. I have little kids most of the time so we do a picture walk. They are so proud of themselves when they get it right and intrigued by the surprise when they don’t. The book, Esperanza Rising is ripe for connections too. Love this book. I read it to my 5th graders and even if they weren’t immigrants, and migrant farmers at that, there are connections to be made about fitting in at school and with your community.

               I have used the sticky notes as well and am happy to say that students can underline during state testing, so we use this strategy too, and it really helps the students. Teacher think alouds during reading help to show the students that thinking through reading is authentic.

               Finally, during post reading having the students keep a community diary is something I may incorporate. It really builds a sense of community and helps students feel safe about questions. Teaching students the difference between, “I wonder, and I’m confused” is good stuff too. Visualizing is my favorite strategy. It’s easy to teach and so powerful for readers. It shows them how much joy there can be in getting caught up in a good story.

               Overall, good scaffolding I think. It was interesting to see it at higher levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment